Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Map of Ecuador
The U.S. Department of State provides information on traveling to various countries, including passport and visa requirements.
Natural Disasters and School Emergency Drills
Information about school emergency drills such as fire drills or drills for other natural disasters may not be available online. However, another way to be prepared is to be aware of some of the common natural disasters that occur in Ecuador:
- Earthquakes: Ecuador is at a high risk for earthquakes. Review safety guidelines here.
- Tsunami: Ecuador is also at a high risk for tsunamis, especially along the coastline. A network of sirens will sound to signal an impending tsunami. Follow local authorities and local evacuation routes in the event of a tsunami.
- Volcanoes: There are several active volcanoes in Ecuador. Be sure to monitor local news for advisory warnings.
The U.S. Embassy and Consulate in Ecuador provides natural disaster alerts and warnings.
Finding More Resources in the Library Catalog
To find more information about the educational system of Ecuador, try these tips for searching the library catalog to find books, magazines or journals, DVDs, and many other resources:
- Start with our local online library catalog to search the 14 million volumes we have on this campus.
- In addition to these resources, you can connect to over 70 other libraries in Illinois using the I-Share catalog and request books be sent to you.
Here are some keywords that may be useful in your search:
- Education -- Ecuador
- Education, higher -- Ecuador
- Education -- curricula
- Curriculum planning
- Curriculum evaluation
Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport
The Ministerio de Educación, Educar Ecuador is Ecuador's Ministry of Education. Their website provides many useful resources, and can be translated into English from the flag icon located on the left-hand side of the page.
Information contained in the Students section of the website provides further detail about each stage of the educational system and various requirements and qualifications available.
View a variety of different statistics, including student statistics by region, statistics related to education expenditures, and various statistical reports prepared by the Ministry.
Peruse an assortment of resources for every level of education, including elementary, high school and higher education. Take advantage of the open digital resources available and read about recommended best practices.
Browse a variety of resources aimed at teachers and faculty.
Background Information on Education System
For a brief overview of Ecuador's educational system and related topics, try these articles available through the library's collections. The first article is available in print in the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library's reference collection.
The second article is available online and provides information about higher education in Ecuador.
These reports available from the UNESCO and the CIA also provide useful background information about Ecuador and its educational system:
- World Data on Education: Seventh Edition 2010-2011
This publication from UNESCO's International Bureau of Education provides detailed information on the education systems of 163 countries worldwide, with an emphasis on curricula and curriculum development processes.
- CIA World FactBook: Ecuador
For more general information about the country of Ecuador, try the CIA World Factbook. This resource provides information about the geography of the country, including natural hazards. Some educational information is included underneath the "People and Society" section.
The following books from the library's collection may provide further useful information:
For information about cultural norms and traveling in Ecuador, try these resources:
To find more resources in the library catalog, try searching using the following keywords:
- Ecuador/Latin America -- social life and customs
- Ecuador -- guidebooks
- Etiquette -- Ecuador
- Visitors, Foreign -- Ecuador
- Immigrants -- Ecuador -- Life skills guides
- Intercultural communication
Spanish-Language Education Periodicals
These Spanish-language education periodicals are available online and may be searched for relevant articles:
- Revista iberoamericana de educación: The Ibero-American Journal of Education (RIE) is a publication of the Organization of Ibero-American States or Organización de Estados Iberoamericanos that publishes articles on current educational issues and innovations in the region. Available from 1993 online.
- Revista electrónica Iberoamericana sobre calidad, eficacia y cambio en educación: REICE is an academic journal that is peer-revied by the Ibero-American Research Network on School Change and Efficiency. It provides a forum for research on quality, equity, efficacy, and change in education conducted in Ibero-America and by Ibero-American researchers. Available from 2003 online.
- Revista española de pedagogía: This primarily Spanish-language journal is one of the oldest journals dealing with general pedagogical research. Articles from anywhere in the world are published as long as they deal with various elements of educational practice and teaching, that is, pedagogy. Available from 1943 online. Most recent 1 year not available.
Note that the term Ibero-America or Iberoamérica primarily refers to regions and countries in the Americas in which Spanish or Portuguese is predominantly spoken.