Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Map of France
The U.S. Department of State provides information on traveling to various countries, including passport and visa requirements.
French Ministry of Education
Natural Disasters and School Emergency Drills
Information about school emergency drills such as fire drills or drills for other natural disasters may not be available online. However, another way to be prepared is to be aware of some of the common natural disasters that occur in France:
- Forest fires: Forest fires can occur anywhere in southern France during the summer months but especially along the Mediterranean coast and on Corsica.
- Flooding: During periods of heavy rainfall, areas of France can be at risk of flooding, particularly regions near the Seine or other rivers.
- Avalanches: There can be risks of avalanches in the mountainous areas of the country.
Finding More Resources in the Library Catalog
To find more information about the educational system of France, try these tips for searching the library catalog to find books, magazines or journals, DVDs, and many other resources:
- Start with our local online library catalog to search the 14 million volumes we have on this campus.
- In addition to these resources, you can connect to over 70 other libraries in Illinois using the I-Share catalog and request books be sent to you.
Here are some keywords that may be useful in your search:
- Education -- France
- Education, secondary -- France
- Education, higher -- France
- Education -- curricula
- Curriculum planning
- Curriculum evaluation
Background Information on Education System
For a brief overview of France's educational system and related topics, try these articles available through the library's collections. The first article is available in print in the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library's reference collection, and the second is available online.
Publications from UNESCO, Eurydice, and the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs may also be helpful in your research:
- World Data on Education: Seventh Edition 2010-2011
This publication from UNESCO's International Bureau of Education provides detailed information on the education systems of 163 countries worldwide, with an emphasis on curricula and curriculum development processes.
- Eurydice: France
This overview of the French educational system is provided by the European Commission and is available in English.
- French Educational System: Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs
This English-language webpage from France's Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs provides a general overview of the French educational system, along with contact and website information for various other education-related governmental organizations.
The following books from the library's collection may provide further useful information:
Moving to France with Your Children by
Call Number: UIUC Online Collection
Publication Date: 2007
Though this resource is aimed at parents moving to France with their children, it may prove useful in your research. It provides a detailed overview of the different levels of the French educational system, as well as information about typical school supplies, curricula, and school meals. The book also covers general cultural and etiquette related topics that may be useful.
For information about cultural norms in France, try these resources:
To find more resources in the library catalog, try searching using the following keywords:
- France -- social life and customs
- Paris (France) -- social life and customs
- Visitors, Foreign -- France
- Etiquette -- France
- Culture shock -- France
- Intercultural communication -- France
French-Language Education Periodicals
These French-language education periodicals are available online and can be searched for relevant articles:
Revue française de pédagogie
This French-language journal publishes educational research from the perspective of various disciplines, including psychology, sociology, philosophy, history, and educational sciences. Available from 1967 online.
Le BO. Bulletin officiel de l'éducation nationale
This French-language resource is the official bulletin of France's Ministry of Education. It is available freely online from 1998 through the present.