Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The U.S. Department of State provides information on traveling to various countries, including passport and visa requirements.
Costa Rican Ministry of Public Education
The Costa Rican Ministry of Public Education, or Ministerio de Educación Pública, features reports, official policies, and publications compiled by the ministry. For example, Ingles Para La Conversacion De Turismo is an English-language publication discussing teaching English in the Costa Rican educational system, including policies and curriculum guidelines. The Ministry website is available in Spanish, but some publications, such as the one linked above, may be in English.
Natural Disasters and School Emergency Drills
Information about school emergency drills such as fire drills or drills for other natural disasters may not be available online. However, another way to be prepared is to be aware of some of the common natural disasters that occur in Costa Rica:
- Earthquakes: Costa Rica is in an area that is prone to earthquakes. Most are rather small and do not cause damage.
- Volcanoes: Costa Rica has 5 currently active volcanoes that occasionally result in ashfalls and spewing rocks in the surrounding areas.
- Hurricanes and flooding: Hurricanes occasionally make landfall in Costa Rica but are not usually a major concern. During the rainy season (from April through mid-November) it rains nearly every day, which may cause occasional flooding in some areas.
Background Information on Education System
For a brief overview of the Costa Rican educational system and related topics, try this article available in the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library's reference collection:
These reports available from the OECD, UNESCO, and the CIA also provide useful background information about Costa Rica and its educational system:
Education in Costa Rica
This 2017 report from the OECD's Reviews of National Policies for Education series presents Costa Rica’s educational policies and practices. Available online by clicking the “read online” link from the page above.
World Data on Education: Seventh Edition 2010-2011
This publication from UNESCO's International Bureau of Education provides detailed information on the education systems of 163 countries worldwide, with an emphasis on curricula and curriculum development processes.
CIA World Factbook: Costa Rica
For more general information about the country of Costa Rica, try the CIA World Factbook. This resource provides information about the geography of the country, including natural hazards. Some educational information is included underneath the "People and Society" section.
These Spanish-language resources from the University of Illinois library provide information on the history of education in Costa Rica.
Costa Rican Education Periodicals
La Revista Educación is a periodical associated with the Faculty of Education at the University of Costa Rica. It is a semiannual Spanish-language journal publishing research on topics such as access to education, the right to quality learning, conditions of teaching, formal and informal education, and learning methods. It is open access and available freely online.
For information about cultural norms in Costa Rica, try these resources:
To find more resources in the library catalog, try searching using the following keywords:
- Costa Rica -- social life and customs
- Latin America -- social life and customs
- Etiquette -- Costa Rica
- Culture shock -- Costa Rica
- Intercultural communication
Finding More Resources in the Library Catalog
To find more information about the educational system of Costa Rica, try these tips for searching the library catalog to find books, magazines or journals, DVDs, and many other resources:
- Start with our local online library catalog to search the 14 million volumes we have on this campus.
- In addition to these resources, you can connect to over 70 other libraries in Illinois using the I-Share catalog and request books be sent to you.
Here are some keywords that may be useful in your search:
- Education -- Costa Rica
- Education -- Latin America
- Education, higher -- Costa Rica
- Education -- curricula
- Curriculum planning
- Curriculum evaluation