Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The U.S. Department of State provides information on traveling to various countries, including passport and visa requirements.
Natural Disasters and School Emergency Drills
Information about school emergency drills such as fire drills or drills for other natural disasters may not be available online. However, another way to be prepared is to be aware of some of the common natural disasters that occur in Spain:
- Forest fires: Forest fires occur frequently, especially during the summer months.
- Flooding: Floods are the most common natural disaster in Spain. These usually occur when heavy rainfall causes rivers to overflow quickly.
Finding More Resources in the Library Catalog
To find more information about the educational system of Spain, try these tips for searching the library catalog to find books, magazines or journals, DVDs, and many other resources:
- Start with our local online library catalog to search the 14 million volumes we have on this campus.
- In addition to these resources, you can connect to over 70 other libraries in Illinois using the I-Share catalog and request books be sent to you.
Here are some keywords that may be useful in your search:
- Education -- Spain
- Education, higher -- Spain
- Education -- curricula
- Curriculum planning
- Curriculum evaluation
- Iberian Peninsula
Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport
The Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte is Spain's Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport. Their website provides many useful resources, and can be translated into English from the "Select Language" drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
An overview of the Spanish educational system, including links to studies, reports, and databases.
Information contained in the Students section of the website provides further detail about each stage of the educational system.
View a variety of different statistics, including university and non-university statistics, statistics related to education expenditures and financial aid, and various statistical reports prepared by the Ministry.
Official Ministry publications are available online through a searchable database. Some publications must be purchased in print form and others are available for free as downloadable .pdf files.
The Biblioteca de Educación, or Education Library, is maintained by the Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport. Access to the library's information and services may be limited for those not affiliated with the Ministry.
Browse a variety of resources aimed at teachers and faculty.
This page provides links to a variety of different organizations and resources related to education and learning in Spain.
Background Information on Education System
For a brief overview of Spain's educational system and related topics, try these articles available through the library's collections. The first article is available in print in the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library's reference collection, and the second is available online.
Publications from UNESCO and Eurydice may also prove helpful in your research:
- World Data on Education: Seventh Edition 2010-2011
This publication from UNESCO's International Bureau of Education provides detailed information on the education systems of 163 countries worldwide, with an emphasis on curricula and curriculum development processes.
- Eurydice: Spain
This overview of Spain's educational system is provided by the European Commission and is available in English.
The following books from the library's collection may provide further useful information:
For information about cultural norms in Spain, try these resources:
To find more resources in the library catalog, try searching using the following keywords:
- Spain -- social life and customs
- Spain -- guidebooks
- Etiquette -- Spain
- National characteristics, Spanish
- Visitors, Foreign -- Spain
- Immigrants -- Spain -- Life skills guides
- Intercultural communication
Spanish-Language Education Periodicals
These Spanish-language education periodicals are available online and may be searched for relevant articles:
- Revista de educación: The Revista de educación is a scientific publication provided by the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports. It provides research, essays, and reviews about education in Spain. Post-2015 magazines are available in both Spanish and English.
- Revista iberoamericana de educación: The Ibero-American Journal of Education (RIE) is a publication of the Organization of Ibero-American States or Organización de Estados Iberoamericanos that publishes articles on current educational issues and innovations in the region. Available from 1993 online.
- Revista electrónica Iberoamericana sobre calidad, eficacia y cambio en educación: REICE is an academic journal that is peer-revied by the Ibero-American Research Network on School Change and Efficiency. It provides a forum for research on quality, equity, efficacy, and change in education conducted in Ibero-America and by Ibero-American researchers. Available from 2003 online.
- Revista española de pedagogía: This primarily Spanish-language journal is one of the oldest journals dealing with general pedagogical research. Articles from anywhere in the world are published as long as they deal with various elements of educational practice and teaching, that is, pedagogy. Available from 1943 online. Most recent 1 year not available.
Note that the term Ibero-America or Iberoamérica primarily refers to regions and countries in the Americas in which Spanish or Portuguese is predominantly spoken. However, Ibero-America and Iberoamérica can also include Spain and Portugal.