Health Sciences at the University of Illinois consists of programs in the College of Applied Health Sciences, the College of Veterinary Medicine, Grainger College of Engineering, and the Urbana-Champaign campus' McKinley Health Center.
UIUC began offering physical fitness courses in the 1890s. The School of Physical Education was established in 1932, the precursor to today's College of Applied Health Sciences. The college went through a few name changes before receiving its current moniker in 2006: in 1957 it became the College of Physical Education, and its name was changed again in 1975 to the College of Applied Life Studies. The mission of the College of Applied Health Sciences is "to advance research, instruction and public engagement that promotes the development of healthy, livable communities, facilitates optimal living with disability and promotes health and wellness across the lifespan and through a diverse society." Record groups relating to the College of Applied Health Sciences can be found here, while records from individual departments are described on subsequent pages.
The campus Health Service was established in 1916 to apply the practices of preventive medicine and sanitation to campus life and to promote the general health and physical welfare of students, faculty, and staff. The department was briefly incorporated into the School of Physical Education from 1937-1943 before moving into its current home at McKinley Hospital in 1953. Though continuing to operate as separate entities, University Health Services and McKinley Hospital now share the name (coined in 1970) of McKinley Health Center.
Sources: Urbana-Champaign Senate Meeting Minutes, Mar. 27, 2006; Board of Trustees Transactions, 29th Report, Nov. 16, 1916.