Instruction in astronomy commenced in 1892 as an offering of the Mathematics Department. In August 1921, the Board of Trustees authorized that the Division of Astronomy in the Department of Mathematics be organized as a separate Department of Astronomy. In 1957, the Department began a program of cooperative investigation with the United States Office of Naval Research and, in 1962, the radio telescope site at Vermillion River Observatory was completed. Courses range from descriptive astronomy to aeronomy, with B.S, M.S., and Ph.D. degrees offered.
A complete list of Department of Astronomy record series is available in the Archives database.