The development of instruction and research in chemistry at the University of Illinois paralleled the evolution of knowledge in chemistry and the growth of chemical industries. On May 8, 1867, the Trustees' Committee on Courses of Study recommended the appointment of a professor of chemistry. Ambrose P.S. Stuart was appointed in 1868. The early science faculty recognized the fundamental importance of chemistry in the sciences, agriculture, and engineering. While taxonomy, measurement, and microscopy dominated the curriculum, the original faculty were well aware of the importance of a basic knowledge of chemistry. When the Illinois Industrial University was ten years old, the second major building to be built was a chemistry laboratory. Most records from the School of Chemical Science can be through the Archives Database, though specific records relating to administration, faculty, and alumni are listed below.
A complete list of School of Chemical Sciences record series is available in the Archives database.