Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This section includes information about archives related to Lebanon.
Ruth Caroline Krueger Papers, 1926-28, 1949-67
Link to Ruth Caroline Krueger Papers, 1926-28, 1949-67
|Archives Research Center, 1707 S. Orchard
|Room 146 Main Library
Papers of Ruth Caroline Krueger (1901-1967), attended the University of Illinois from 1926-27, worked as a librarian all her career, and for the last fifteen years of her life she directed libraries for the Department of State and the US Information Agency in Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, and Beirut. The collection includes correspondence with her family while she was in residence at the University of Illinois (1926-27), commencement programs, and brochures from local Baptist churches. From her service as a librarian for the United States Information Agency (1949-67), the papers include official and private correspondence, financial records, administrative files, and holiday greeting cards. Within these files, there are numerous photographs and slides from her travels to Asia and the Middle East (1949-67).
- Beirut, Lebanon, 1959-65 (Sub-lease agreement, administrative forms, reassignment letters, letters of appreciation)
- Bea Holt Correspondence, 1961-65 (correspondence regarding forced retirement from USIS Foreign Service, European travel plans, library operations in Beirut, India and Pakistan, and the All Pakistan Library Seminar)
- Beirut Correspondence, 1963-64 (Letters to family regarding Baghdad Library, Iran, Shiraz, Persepolis, Nicosia, Cyprus, Damascus, Amman, and Jerusalem, library operations and activities, and travel plans)
- Ribbi Kalla Correspondence, 1967 (Correspondence regarding aid requests for Palestinian refugees through a new international organization entitled Pal-aid, and a receipt of $100 Dollars from Ruth Krueger)
- Ad Hoc Committee on the Middle East, 1967 (“An Open Letter To President Johnson by Middle East specialists,” “Observations” re the sinking of the ship Liberty by the Israeli military, request for donations).
- Travel Slides: Cairo, 1959; Jerusalem, 1964; Aleppo; Egypt; Iraq; Jerusalem; Lebanon; Palmyra, Cedars; Persepolis; Petra; Rhodes; Sidon; Tehran.