Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This page provides information about the following resources on Sports in Latin America and the Caribbean:
- Websites and Organizations
- Selected Journals about Latin American and Caribbean Sport
Websites and Organizations
- Asociación Latinoamericana de Estudios Socioculturales del Deporte (ALESDE): Created in 2001, ALESDE is an academic organization that gathers Latin American scholars, and seeks to enhance academic research and cooperation in the region in relation with sports and social sciences.
- Centro de Estudios del Deporte, Universidad Nacional de San Martin, (Argentina): This is a research group hosted at the School of Politics and Government, carrying on research, academic events, publications, collecting relevant bibliography, and promoting collaboration in the region for the academic research of Sport, mainly from the field of politics and history.
- Critical Reflections on Brazil 2014 and Rio 2016: This blog investigates the massive changes in Rio de Janeiro and Brazil from a perspective based in critical geography and urban planning mixed with investigative journalism. That my comments here are almost wholly critical of the projects underway in Brazil is based on more than a decade of research into the ways that sports shape and impact urban and social relations. (from the site)
- Fútbol en la Biblioteca Nacional de Colombia: Portal and virtual exhibit to resources on sports in Colombia.
- The Football Scholars Forum: Think tank that gather professors, students, journalists and different authors interested in researching about Football across the world.
- Sport: Laboratório de História do Esporte e do Lazer, (Brazil) Research group at the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro that gathers scholars to study the history of sport in Latin America.
- COLIMDO - Web institucional del Comité Olímpico Dominicano
- Observatorio de Políticas Públicas de Latinoamérica y el Caribe para el Deporte, la Educación Física, la Recreación, la Actividad Física, el Ocio, y el uso del Tiempo Libre (Argentina): Created in October 2011 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, during the VI Foro Mercosur Latinoamericano para la Democratizacion de la Educacion Fisica y el Deporte, this association studies, supports, and advocates for public policy that contributes to the development, integration and democratization of sport, physical education, and recreation throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. The association's website offers online access to relevant documentation from several countries, as well as an online library.
Escola de Educação Física e Esporte - USP (São Paulo University, Brazil): This is the top-ranked university for sport science programs in Brazil. It offers undergraduate degree in addition to graduate programs. São Paulo's Escola de Educação Física e Esporte also has a specialized library and over 30 research groups.
Faculdade de Educação Física da UNICAMP, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (Campinas State University, Campinas, Brazil): The School of Physical Education at Campinas State University inaugurated its 4-year program in 1985. It currently offers undergraduate as well as masters and doctoral programs, and holds several research groups and events.
- Faculdade de Educação Física, Universidade de Brasilia (Brazil): This is one of the most important academic institutions in the field of sports. It offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in fields relevant to sports, including the doctoral degree. The University of Brasília's College of Physical Education has several specialized laboratories.
- Sociedad Chilena para la Educación Física, Recreación, y Salud (Chile): Created in 1987,the Chilean Society of Physical Education, Recreation, and Health groups Chilean sport sciences professionals and scholars together. It leads research activities, conferences, and publications.
- Instituto Universitario de Educación Física de la Universidad de Antioquia (Colombia): Founded in 1968, this was the second program in physical education to be opened in Colombia, and the first outside Bogotá. This specialized institute of academic education and research on sports offers one undergraduate and five graduate programs. The Institute has several research groups through the Research Center on Sports Sciences (Centro de Investigación en Ciencias del Deporte - CICIDEP).
- Facultad de Educación Física, Universidad Pedagógica Nacional (Colombia): One of the most well-known universities in teacher education in Colombia, the College of Physical Education at the Universidad Pedagógica Nacional offers three undergraduate programs and has several research groups and publications.
- La Asociación Red Colombiana de Facultades de Deporte, Educación Física y Recreación (Colombia): This association comprises higher education institutions offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in physical education, sports, and other related fields. It is intended at act as a network of academic peers for the evaluation and updating of formal higher education in these fields
- Universidad de las Ciencias de la Cultura Física y el Deporte "Manuel Fajardo"(UCCFD) (Cuba): This is a Cuban institution specializing in education and academic research in the field of physical education and sports.
- Universidad de Futbol y Ciencias del Deporte (Mexico): This is a specialized institution offering formal education from elementary school through PhD level. Its academic offer includes 7 undergraduate programs, 6 Masters programs and one Doctoral program.
- Centro Universitario de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Guadalajara (Mexico): This center of studies in Health Sciences from Guadalajara University, offers a Masters program in Sport Science and Physical Education. It also has specialized research groups and research facilities.
- Centro de Investigación: Estudios de Educación, Física, Salud, Deporte, Recreación, y Danza (Venezuela): Created in 2001, this research center gathers Latin American scholars from different disciplines in social sciences, medical sciences, management, and the humanities. It publishes the indexed journal Revista Actividad Fisica y Ciencias.
Selected Journals about Latin American and Caribbean Sport
International and Area Studies Library
, Chinese Studies
, European Union
, Global Studies
, Japanese Studies
, Korean Studies
, Latin America
, Middle East
, Religious Studies
, Slavic & East European
, South Asian Studies