If you have a specific citation to an article, it may be available through one of the following:
- Journal title search in the library catalog
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Step 1: Check for online availability of the journal/article
Search the catalog for the journal title linked in #1 above and search for the title or ISSN of the journal. Alternatively, search for the article title/DOI via Easy Search (search box on library's home page).
Need some more help with finding articles? Check out our A-Z and Databases by Subject web page or refer to our online guide How to Find Articles.
Step 2: DocExpress
If an article/book chapter is not available in an electronic journal but the library owns a print copy, you may use DocExpress to order a scanned copy of the article to be sent to you. To do so:
Verify that the library owns the journal in print by following these steps:
- Visit the Library website and click on U of I collection under the large 'I'.
- In the search field, enter the title of the journal (e.g., "Africa education review").
- View the catalog record for the journal title and verify that the library owns the volume and issue that you need.
- Note the call number and location (e.g., "Main Stacks" or "Engineering") of the item.
Then, place a DocExpress request for the article.
- Visit Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery.
- Scroll to DocExpress and click "Login to ILLiad to Request Item".
- Enter your NetID and password to log in to your ILLiad account (if you have a NetID, the system automatically generates an ILLiad account for you).
- With the required information (author, title, date, volume, etc.), fill in the DocExpress Request form to request the article, including the call number and location of the item.
- In the Notes field, enter "Center for Innovation in Teaching & Learning" and identify the course for which you are requesting the material (e.g., LIS 458).
- Select the button that says, "Submit Request."
- Your request will be processed and you will receive a scanned copy of the article or book chapter you have requested. Although you may receive your article more quickly, please allow 5-7 days to process your request.
Note: This service is free for faculty, students, and staff.
Step 3: Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Use ILL if you determine that the article/book chapter you are looking for is not available electronically or in print from the University of Illinois Library. To do so, follow these steps:
- Visit Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery
- Click on "Login to ILLiad to Request Item"
- Enter your NetID and password to log in to your ILLiad account.
- Select the appropriate option under the heading "New Request" depending on what material you are requesting. NOTE: select "photocopy" to receive journal articles.
- Fill in the form with the required information (author, title, date, volume, etc.) and be as detailed as possible. Submit your request.
- Although you may receive your article more quickly, please allow 5-7 days to process your request.
- You should receive an email from Interlibrary Loan when your article is available for download (usually as a pdf file). You may view the article with your preferred PDF reader, e.g., Adobe Reader.
- You will have 21 days to download your request from your ILLiad account - after that, access to the article/book chapter will be deleted.
If you have any questions about DocExpress or Interlibrary Loan requests, please contact the Interlibrary Loan office at 217-333-0832 or 217-333-1958 or using this web form.