Objectives of World Water Day 2014
- Raise awareness of the inter-linkages between water and energy
- Contribute to a policy dialogue that focuses on the broad range of issues related to the nexus of water and energy
- Demonstrate, through case studies, to decision makers in the energy sector and the water domain that integrated approaches and solutions to water-energy issues can achieve greater economic and social impacts
- Identify policy formulation and capacity development issues in which the UN system, in particular UN-Water and UN-Energy, can offer significant contributions
- Identify key stakeholders in the water-energy nexus and actively engaging them in further developing the water-energy linkages
- Contribute as relevant to the post-2015 discussions in relation to the water-energy nexus.
The main celebrations of World Water Day 2014 took place on 20-21 March 2014 at the UNU Headquarters in Tokyo, Japan.
United Nations' World Water Day 2014, was coordinated by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and United Nations University (UNU) on behalf of UN Water.