Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to the resource guide for Illinois Extension at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. This guide provides resources for people in extension, including article databases, journals, government information, and websites. Feedback is encouraged and welcomed.
Ask a Librarian
Public Services & Engagement Librarian
Assistant Professor, University Library
Liaison to: University of Illinois Extension and Agricultural Leadership, Education & Communications
ACES Terms and Vocabulary
Image Courtesy of Galesburg Chamber of Commerce
Important ACES Terms:
- The College of ACES: The University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign's College of Agriculture, Consumer and Environmental Sciences. The college is ranked in the top 30 agriculture schools worldwide, but today includes expertise, education, connection and collaboration extending beyond agriculture.
- Sustainability: The property of being environmentally sustainable; the degree to which a process or enterprise is able to be maintained or continued while avoiding the long-term depletion of natural resources.
- Livestock: Domestic animals kept on a farm for use or profit; esp. cattle, sheep, and pigs.
- Outreach: To hand out or over; to present, give.
- Horticulture: The cultivation of a garden; the art or science of cultivating or managing gardens, including the growing of flowers, fruits, and vegetables.
- Development: Senses relating to growth or becoming more advanced or elaborate.
- Agriculture: (a) Originally: the theory or practice of cultivating the soil to produce crops; an instance of this (now rare). (b) Later also (now chiefly): the practice of growing crops, rearing livestock, and producing animal products (as milk and eggs), regarded as a single sphere of activity; farming, husbandry; (also) the theory of this.
- Environment: Frequently with the. The natural world or physical surroundings in general, either as a whole or within a particular geographical area, esp. as affected by human activity.
- Nutrition: The branch of science that deals with nutrition and nutrients, esp. in humans; the study of food and diet.
- Forestry: The science and art of forming and cultivating forests, management of growing timber.
- Family: A group of people consisting of one set of parents and their children, whether living together or not. In wider sense: any group of people connected by blood, marriage, adoption, etc. Also: a pair of animals and their young.
- Community: A body of people or things viewed collectively.
Research Help at Funk ACES Library
College of ACES Information
Alumni Center Information
College of ACES Alumni Association
Information about the Alumni Center, which is located in the first floor of the Funk ACES Library, Information, and Alumni Center building.
History of Funk ACES Library
The Funk ACES Library was dedicated in October 2001. It supports research for the College of ACES, as well as the School of Integrative Biology, the School of Molecular and Cellular Biology, the Department of Urban and Regional Planning, the Department of Landscape Architecture, the Prairie Research Institute, and the Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology. The library is floors 2-5 and serves students, faculty, staff, and community members throughout the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and beyond. Learn more here.