The Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) was founded in 1948 as the nation's first comprehensive program and set of services for students with disabilities. Originally named Rehabilitation Education Services, the program began at the University of Illinois Galesburg campus and moved to the Urbana-Champaign campus when Galesburg closed in 1949. The name was changed in 1962. The University Archives holds institutional records, organization and event subject files, and the papers of Timothy J. Nugent, DRES founder and director (1948-1985).
A complete list of Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services record series and a complete list of Galesburg campus record series are both available in the Archives database.