SOLV-DB has been designed to meet the needs of a variety of users.
- If you are a Process Engineer, SOLV-DB will help you make intelligent choices about which solvent will do the job -- without leaving a legacy of problems.
- If you are a "Hands-On" User of solvents, SOLV-DB will help you understand what you are dealing with, and help you find out how to handle the materials wisely.
- If you are an Environmental Engineer, SOLV-DB will help you determine your responsibilities under routine conditions, and in case of accidents.
- If you are a member of the General Public, SOLV-DB will help you locate basic facts about materials of concern, and help you appreciate the trade-offs involved in solvent selection.
SOLV-DB brings together a wealth of information on commercially available solvents. Use SOLV-DB to find:
- Health and Safety considerations involved in choosing and using solvents.
- Chemical and Physical data affecting the suitability of a particular solvent for a wide range of potential applications.
- Regulatory responsibilities, including exposure and effluent limits, hazard classification status with respect to several key statutes, and selected reporting requirements.
- Environmental Fate data, to indicate whether a solvent is likely to break down or persist in air or water, and what types of waste treatment techniques may apply to it.
SOLV-DB contains several additional features for your convenience, including:
- To help you locate and evaluate suppliers for solvents listed here:
- To help you identify a solvent from incomplete information, or help you find the solvent in other reference sources:
- A table of synonyms
To help you find a range of alternative solvents for your application:
- Ability to search and sort -- example: find all compounds boiling between 50 and 90 degrees C
- Ability to exclude compounds from searches based on health or regulatory criteria -- example: find all compounds not regulated under RCRA, not carcinogenic, and not mutagenic
- Ability to select compounds based on descriptive strings -- example: find all solvents that smell like "banana"
- Ability to locate all solvents in the database falling into a given chemical category -- example: find all alcohols
To help you understand the meaning of data or properties listed in the database:
- Capsule definitions of terms, acronyms, and obscure concepts in the labels defining tabulated items.