Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
To create your own SciFinder username and password:
- be a current University of Illinois faculty member, Emeritus faculty member, enrolled student, post-doc, research staff member, or staff member.
- register with your @illinois.edu email address. After you submit the form, you will receive an email message with instructions for completing the registration process.
- Read and agree to the license agreement set for by CAS.
The registration process:
- Go to SciFinder Registration.
- Click Next
- Read and Accept the License Agreement.
- Enter your contact information
- Specify a username and password
- Your username must be unique and contain 5-15 characters. It can contain only letters or a combination of letters, numbers, and/or these special characters: - (dash), _ (underscore), . (period), @ (at symbol)
- Your password must contain 7-15 characters and include at least three of the following:
- Mixed upper- and lowercase letters
- Non-alphanumeric characters (e.g., @, #, %, &, *)
- Select a security question from the drop-down list and provide the answer.
- Click Register.
- An Almost Finished message indicates that you will receive an email message from CAS at the address you provided within the form.
- Open the email message from CAS in order to complete the registration process. If you accept the terms and conditions for using SciFinder, click the link within the email message to complete the registration process. A confirmation page is displayed.
- Now you are ready to use SciFinder! Bookmark http://www.library.illinois.edu/proxy/go.php?url=https://scifinder.cas.org for future use. This bookmark will prompt you for your NetID and Password when using SciFinder from off campus.
- If you have trouble registering to use SciFinder, please contact Chemical Abstracts Service at firstname.lastname@example.org. They can reset your password and make any necessary changes to your registration information.