It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
University Library, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Angeline Milner, or Aunt Ange for short, was the head librarian of the Illinois State University library for 37 years. Aunt Ange died in 1928 when, according to legend, she collapsed while organizing a section of biology books. The library has changed locations several times over the years, but the collection still includes many of the older books baring the call numbers that Aunt Ange hand wrote on their bindings. Since at least the 1980s, library staff members have reported encounters with what they believe to be Ange Milner’s ghost. Since Aunt Ange never set foot in the new library location people believe that her ghost haunts her books rather than a specific location. To learn more about Aunt Ange's ghost visit Haunted Places in Illinois at: http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/illinois.htm
Lewis and Clark Community College began as Monticello College in 1838. Harriet Newell Haskell directed the college from 1868 to 1912 and is said to haunt the library. In the 1970s Ms. Haskell made her presence known by touching a young librarian’s shoulder blade. The young librarian was so scared that she closed the library and left.
Oregon Public Library
Oregon Public Library in Oregon, Illinois is believed to be haunted by Governor Frank Lowden. Watch the video below to learn more about his after-hours adventures.
There have been no deaths associated with the Library and City Office Building, but before it was torn down doors were known to open and close, lights turned on and off on their own, and employees received phone calls telling them exactly where they were and what they were doing. The calls couldn’t be traced and occurred even when the phone line was unplugged.
Several ghosts have been sited at the Old Library. A full body apparition of a little girl has been seen where the children's section used to be. An old woman who used to own the place has also been sited. She waited and waited for her son to return from the war, and she died a few days after she learned that he was killed in action. She walks around the yard and by the old well wearing a white nightgown and white slippers. There are cold spots in the library where her chair once was.
The Peoria Public Library is believed to be built on cursed ground and is home to as many as a dozen different ghosts. In 1830, Mrs. Andrew Gray, a prominent Peoria citizen, lived where the library now stands. When her brother died she gained custody of her nephew. He often got into trouble with the law and eventually hired an attorney named David Davis who took out a mortgage on Mrs. Gray’s house as security. When Mrs. Gray’s nephew could not pay his bill, Davis sued to foreclose on the home to collect his money. Mrs. Gray evicted her nephew, and soon after, his body was found floating in the river. Mrs. Gray cursed her property and all of its future owners. In 1894 Peoria purchased the property and built a library on it. The first three library directors died under unusual circumstances which lent credibility to Mrs. Gray’s curse. In 1966, the original library was torn down, and a new one was built in its place. The ghosts have remained and continue to haunt the library though.
The McHenry East High School was designed by a man who also designed prisons, and it is said that over 50 spirits of jail breakers who never got caught roam the school. One spirit has been seen in the library, and the metal detectors in the library go off every year for no reason.
In 1956 students made fun of the school librarian, egged her car, etc. On April 12, three students went to the library after school, and the librarian killed all three students and then herself. Sometimes screaming has been reported in the library after school.