As part of its COVID-19 response, the University Library is currently restricting access to most of the physical books in the library's collections. For some of these items, the library is facilitating online access through a service called HathiTrust. For more information, check out the library's HathiTrust guide.
You can access HathiTrust items either directly through the HathiTrust website or through the library catalog. However, you cannot download HathiTrust items. They can only be read on the HathiTrust website.
Accessing HathiTrust Through the Catalog
1. Most of the time, if an item in the library catalog is available in HathiTrust, you will see a HathiTrust link in the item entry.
2. Click the link. You may be prompted to log in with your NetID and password.
3. After logging in, the page will direct you to the item record page in HathiTrust.
4. Near the bottom of the page, find the "Temporary Access" link and click on it. It might say "Full View" instead.
5. You should see a yellow banner with a "Check Out" button. Click the button to virtually check out the item. If you do not see the yellow banner and instead see a gray banner saying "This item is not available online", you will need to try logging in directly through HathiTrust. Click "Log In" at the top of the page, select "University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign" as your partner institution, and enter you NetID and password when prompted.
6. The item should appear via an online reading pane! Scroll or search to start reading.