Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Books. Use the Online Library Catalog (OLC) to see if the item is available at UIUC. If so, proceed to Request. If not, check the CARLI I-Share catalog by selecting "I-Share" in the OLC to search all member libraries. You can request any available copy. If the item is not found in the I-Share catalog, you can request an interlibrary loan online via the Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery (ILL/DD). You will need your NetID and Password and your Borrower Identification Number . Login to Place a Request. IRRC book requests may take 1-3 weeks. You will be notified by email. Items can be sent to the Chemistry Library for convenient pickup near Burrill Hall and the Natural History Building.
- Articles. Articles not available at UIUC may be obtained via the Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery (ILL/DD) service.
- Before making a request, check the UIUC Online Library Catalog to be sure the item you need is not available at UIUC. To locate the item, search for the journal name (not the article title) in the UIUC Online Library Catalog. There will be a record for journals that the Library subscribes to. Also see the Find Online Journals & Databases page for electronic versions of journals that are subscribed to, although there should be an Online Library Catalog record for e-journals, too.
- If no campus library has the journal, or if the volume you need is not available, you may request an article copy through IRRC. The service is free. To submit an IRRC ILLiad online request form, click here and log in to place a request. You will need your NetID and password, as well as the complete citation (authors, year of publication, article title, journal name, volume, page numbers). No abbreviations allowed! For assistance with deciphering abbreviations, please ask a librarian. Most requests are filled within 3-7 days. Articles are provided either electronically as PDF files (if available) with notification by email, or in paper form by campus mail to your campus address. Be sure that your email and campus addresses are correct on the request form!
- Purchase Request. If you have a journal or book purchase request please contact the Biology Librarian directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-244-2503 or fill out a purchase request here: https://illinois.edu/fb/sec/887006.