Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Borrowing Books and Journals
U of I Graduate Students can check out materials for longer periods of time than undergraduate students. Graduate students can request any I-Share Library item through the online catalog.
How long you can check out books:
- 4 weeks – I-Share items
- 16 weeks – Urbana campus items
- Periodicals – varies by library location, check the Library Catalog for status (most unbound periodicals don’t circulate)
- Renewal limits
- 10 renewals – Urbana campus items
- 3 renewals – I-Share items
How to Renew Materials
You can renew materials you have checked out three ways:
- Online: University of Illinois and I-Share Library materials can be renewed using your library account in the online catalog.
- By Telephone: Call the Library Telephone Center at (217) 333-8400.
- In Person: At any library circulation desk.