American Theatre Companies, 1749-1887. By Weldon B. Durham. Wesport: Greenwood, 1989.
PN2237 A447 / Music and Performing Arts Library Reference
- 3 volumes. Information about theatre companies listed chronologically and by state, with an index of personal names and play titles. Includes bibliographies for further reading.
American Theatrical Periodicals, 1798-1967: A Bibliographical Guide. By Carl J. Stratman. Durham: Duke UP, 1970.
- 016.7914 St8a/ Main Reference
- Lists of theatrical magazines and periodicals published in the U.S., along with which libraries hold them. Arranged chronologically.
Annals of the New York Stage By George C. Odell. New York: AMS, 1970 (1949).
- 792 Od2a 1970 / Main Reference
- Comprehensive, 15-volume history of New York theatre, covering 1700 to 1894. With index.
Encyclopedia of the New York Stage, 1920-1950. By Samuel L. Leiter. Westport: Greenwood, 1985.
PN2277.N5 L45 (and 1989 and 1992)/ Music and Performing Arts Library Reference
- Information about theatrical productions, listed by title with index in last volume.
London Stage: 1660-1800. By William Van Lennep. Carbondale: SIU, 1965
792.09 L846 / Main Stacks and Oak Street
- 5 parts, total of 11 volumes. Information compiled from playbills, newspapers and theatrical diaries. Arranged chronologically with index.
London Stage: 1890-1959. Metuchen: Scarecrow, 1976.
PN2596.L7 L663 / Music and Performing Arts Library Reference
- A total of 16 volumes. Information from playbills, arranged chronologically with indexes in the final volume of each part of the series.
- Also available online in the Eighteenth Century Drama (linked to the left) or here.
Notable Names in the American Theatre. Ed. W. Rigdon. Clifton, N.J.: J.T. White, 1976.
PN2285 N683 / Music and Performing Arts Library Reference
- Lists the New York premiers of plays before 1976.