Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
IPA Source is the web's largest library of International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) transcriptions and literal translations of opera arias and art song texts.
Albert Schatz Collection
This collection consists of over 12,000 digitized libretti Albert Schatz collected during his life as a music dealer.
CD and LP Liner Notes
In a pinch, another source for texts and translations are the notes that come with many CDs and LPs.
Contains more than 3,900 plays in verse and prose from the late thirteenth century - the likely date of the Shrewsbury Fragments - to the early twentieth. It offers exhaustive coverage of the prodigious dramatic literature of the Elizabethan and Jacobean periods, as well as Restoration plays, medieval morality plays and mystery cycles, and nineteenth-century closet dramas.
Texts & Translations
- Dix cycles de lieder = Ten cycles of lieder : Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, Schubert, Schumann / traduction mot a mot accent tonique par Marie-Therese Paquin. Montreal : Les Presses de l'Universite de Montreal, 1977. ML54.6 D59 Reference
- Exploring art song lyrics : translation and pronunciation of the Italian, German & French repertoire / by Jonathan Retzlaff ; IPA transcriptions by Cheri Montgomery. ML54.6 .R48 2012 Reference
- The Fischer-Dieskau book of lieder : the texts of over 750 songs in German/ chosen and edited by Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau ; with English translations by George Bird and Richard Stokes. London : V. Gollancz, 1976. ML54.6 F57F5 Reference
- Lieder line by line, and word for word / Lois Phillips. Rev. ed. Oxford :Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1996. ML54.6P44 L51996 Reference
- Poetry in song literature : a handbook for students of singing / by Donna Esselstyn Harrison. Evanston, Ill. : Wm. Caxton, c1989. ML3849 H27 P6 Reference
- The Ring of Words: an anthology of song texts. The original texts selected and translated, with an introd. by Philip L. Miller. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday :c1963: ML54.6 M44R4 Reference
- The solo song, 1580-1730. Edited by Carol MacClintock. M1619M17 S6
- Translations and annotations of choral repertoire. vol. 1, Sacred Latin texts / compiled and annotated by Ron Jeffers. ML53.8 J44T7v.1 Reference
- Translations and annotations of choral repertoire. vol. 2, German texts / translations compiled by Ron Jeffers ; edited and annotated by Gordon Paine. ML53.8 J44T7v.2 Reference
- Word by Word Translations of Songs and Arias / by Berton Coffin, Werner Singer [and] Pierre Delattre. ML54.6 W67 Reference
- The complete Puccini libretti / with international phonetic alphabet transcriptions, word for word translations by Nico Castel. ML49 P82C2 Reference
- The complete Verdi libretti / with International Phonetic Alphabet transcriptions, word for word translations by Nico Castel. ML49 V47C2 Reference
- French opera libretti / with International Phonetic Alphabet transcriptions, word for word translations, including a guide to the I.P.A. and notes on the French transcriptions by Nico Castel ML48 F746 Reference
- German miscellaneous opera libretti : with international phonetic alphabet transcriptions, word for word translations by Nico Castel. ML48 G468 Reference
- Italian belcanto opera libretti / with International Phonetic Alphabet transcriptions and word for word translations by Nico Castel. ML48 I835 Reference
- Italian verismo opera libretti : in two volumes / with International Phonetic Alphabet transcriptions and word for word translations by Nico Castel. ML48 I838 Reference
- The libretti of Mozart’s completed operas : in two volumes / with International Phonetic Alphabet transcriptions, word for word translations by Nico Castel. ML49 M69C3 Reference
- The singer's Rachmaninoff / edited, with introductions and translations by Natalia Challis. 1st ed. New York : Pelion Press, 1989. ML54.6R18S5 Reference
- Rachmaninov's complete song texts : Russian texts of the complete songs of Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninov / with phonetic transcriptions, literal and idiomatic English translations by Laurence R. Richter. ML54.6.R18 S66R3 2000 Reference
Language of origin
- A French song companion. Johnson, Graham, and Richard Stokes. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ML54.6 J64 F7
- The interpretation of French song by Pierre Bernac. New York : Norton, 1978, c1976 MT892 B47I51978 Reference
- Masters of the French art song : translations of the complete songs of Chausson, Debussy, Duparc, Faure & Ravel / by Timothy LeVan. Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, c1991. ML54.6 M26 Reference
- The Spanish song companion / devised and translated by Jacqueline Cockburn & Richard Stokes, with an introduction and notes by Graham Johnson. London :Victor Gollancz, 1992. ML54.6S68 Reference
- The Singer's anthology of 20th century Spanish songs / edited, with introductions and translations by Josep Miquel Sobrer and Edmon Colomer. 1st ed. New York : Pelion Press, 1987. ML54.6S56 Reference