The UIUC Library is adopting an e-preferred policy for books. Some print materials are available online via the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service and other electronic services. If an item cannot be delivered digitally, you may request a print pickup at the Main Library or in the Grainger Library Engineering Information Center (see below). To request that the library purchases an electronic copy of a resource, visit the request form.
- To request books for pickup: Use the Library Primo Catalog.
- To request digital scans of book chapters/essays: Use Document Delivery.
Visit the Library's COVID-19 information page for further guidance.
General Guidance for Finding Books
Step One: UIUC Online Library Catalog
You have two searching options:
- Primo Library Catalog.
- Search for:
- Books from UIUC
- Books available through I-Share (see below)
- Note: You do not need to log in to your library account unless you would like to check/renew your loans or request materials.
- Library Easy Search
- Search for UIUC resources. Great for:
- Beginning your research
- Looking for books/articles/etc. you already know the title for
How do I get the book?
Log in through the catalog to request the item; then, pick it up at any departmental library.
Or, retrieve the book yourself from either the Main Stacks or the departmental library where the book is located. You will need the location and call number to do so.
Access will depend on the publisher. In some case you will be able to download full books via PDF. In others you might be able only to view the book online. In all cases the Library follow the publisher's requirements.
What if my book is not in the UIUC Online Library Catalog?
Step Two: I-Share
I-Share is a group of libraries in Illinois that lend books to each other. It is free to request to borrow a book this way. Visit the Primo Library Catalog and select "All I-share Libraries." Items typically arrive within 5-10 days. You will receive an email when the item is available for pick up.
What if my book is not available in I-Share?
Step Three: Interlibrary Loan
Request the item through Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery. Steps:
- Take a note of the full citation for the item.
- Log in to the ILLiad server using your NetID and password.
- Select "Request a Book." Be sure to fill out as much of the form as possible, including the source of your citation. Doing so will help ILL staff fulfill your request.
- You'll be notified by email when your item is ready to be picked up.
WorldCat -You can search WorldCat to find books on your topic which might not be in the UIUC nor the I-Share catalog. Once you find a title of interest, you can order it through Interlibrary Loan.