To find more biographical sources on German-speaking people, search the Library's Classic Catalog by subject using the subject heading "Germany --Biography" or search the Library's VuFind Catalog by topic using the terms "biographies" and "Germany".
Bio-bibliographisches Handbuch zur Sprachwissenschaft des 18. Jahrhunderts. Tübingen: Max Niemeyer Verlag 1992-.
016.41 B52 (Main Stacks Reference)
- This biographical handbook covers grammarians, lexicographers and speech theorists whose works included the German language as a subject. Each entry contains a short biography, a description of works and an extensive bibliography of each person. At the beginning of the first volume is a list of the most used secondary works in producing this set. Volumes still being published.
Historische Commission bei der Königlichen Akademie der Wissenschaften. Allgemeine deutsche Biographie. 56 vols. Leipzig: Duncker, 1875-1912.
920.043 AL51967 (Main Reference)
- This biographical encyclopedia contains signed articles on known and lesser known historical figures in Germany since its beginnings to 1900.(Literary figures are included as well.) It is important to use the index since some entries are contained in the supplements and not the main text.
- Volumes 1-45: (A-Z)
- Volumes 46-55: Nachträge
- Volume 56: Generalregister
Historischen Kommission bei der Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften. Neue deutsche Biographie. Berlin: Duncker and Humblot, 1953-.
920.043 N393 (Main Reference; Oak St. Facility)
- This biographical encyclopedia is the revised and reworked edition of the Allgemeine deutsche Biographie. It does not supersede the previous work since it omits some previously included articles. However, it contains some new articles on individuals who were previously omitted from the work and it contains articles on persons who have died since the publication of the original work. Volumes are still being published, and an index for the work does not yet exist. However each individual volume contains an index for its contents.
Gorzny, Willi. Deutsches biographisches Archiv: eine Kumulation aus der 254 wichtigsten biographischen Nachschlagswerke für den deutschen Bereich bis zum Ausgang des neunzehnten Jahrhunderts [DBA I]. München: K.G. Sauer, 1982.
MFICHE 920.043 D4894 (Main Reference)
- This biographical directory contains entries on 225,000 individuals which were drawn from more than 250 biographical directories, dictionaries, and encyclopedias. The entries cover figures from the beginnings of German history to about 1910. For each entry the directory contains dates, occupations and citations to other printed sources containing biographical information about a particular individual. Brief historical accounts are presented for notable or important figures. There is an index to this work (SEE BELOW).
Gorzny, Willi. Deutscher biographischer Index. 4 vols. München: K.G. Sauer, 1986.
Q. 016.920043 K811d (Main Stacks Reference; Oak St. Facility)
- This four volume index contains the names of each figure included in the original edition of the Deutsches biographisches Archiv, which is available only on microfiche. Also included are the dates for each individual's birth and death (if known), the individual's occupation, the sources used for the biographical information, and the number of the corresponding microfiche where information on a particular individual may be found.
Gorzny, Willi. Deutsches biographisches Archiv: neue Folge bis zur Mitte des 20. Jahrhunderts: eine Kumulation aus der 284 wichtigsten biographischen Nachschlagswerke für den deutschen Bereich bis zum Ausgang des neunzehnten Jahrhunderts [DBA II]. München: K.G. Sauer, 1990-1993.
MFICHE 920.043 D48942 (Main Reference)
- This biographical directory is a continuation of Deutsches biographisches Archiv and contains nearly 280,000 entries on historical figures in Germany which are drawn from 280 respectable reference sources. For each entry the directory contains dates, occupations and citations to other printed sources containing biographical information about a particular individual. Brief historical accounts are presented for notable figures.
Herrero Mediavilla, Victor. Deutsches biographisches Archiv 1960-1999 [DBA III]. München: K.G. Saur, 1999.
MFICHE 920.043 D48943 (Main Reference)
- This biographical directory extends the previous volumes of the Deutsches biographisches Archiv to the present day. This volume also expands the scope of the previous directories by including individuals from the political, cultural, and social realms of the German speaking world, including Austria and Switzerland. The directory contains around 220,000 entries from 350 sources.
Klee, Ernst. Das Personenlexikon zum Dritten Reich: Wer war was vor und nach 1945?Frankfurt am Main: S. Fischer Verlag, 2003.
920.043 K671p (Main Reference)
- This biographical dictionary includes 4,500 entries on important people of interest during the Third Reich. These people come from various fields such as: social work, the court system, the church, concentration camps, culture, medicine, the murder of Jews, the police, science and others. The author's intent is to truthfully report the activities of these people during and after World War II in a way that no other previous biographical work has done.